Monday, June 20, 2005

"The Palestinian woman’s womb is a factory for the conflict..."

Little Green Footballs posted an article about an interview with Syrian historian and author Dr. Georgette ’Attiyya, who described how their culture is working. Her quote:
"The Palestinian woman’s womb is a factory for the conflict; it produces fighting children. After this fighting child is produced, he is taught: “This is your land, this is your country, you will fight for it, stand on it, and die for it.” Therefore, a very important connection exists between motherhood, land, and blood."
This article reminded me of an interesting presentation by a Marine Major in my philosophy class in 1987. We had all done a paper for the class and one evening, instead of going to the classroom, we went to one of the pub/restaurants along 2nd beach in Newport, RI to do our presentations. His story captivated me by the horror of this short recounting of a conversation he had. As a military attache assigned to the Embassy in Beruit, he had the occassion to meet the locals. He said he had been at a party where he asked an officer of the Christian Militia how it was that he could kill a pregnant woman. The answer: "If I don't kill her now, in 16 years I will have two people to kill." Chilling. I found it hard to grasp the concept, but I knew the reality is that this was in fact, occuring in Lebanon at the time via the MSM. The article I linked to above essentailly vinciates this thought process in the realities of the Middle East. It's certainly out of the park for my morals, but when it comes to plain, old, raw survival, the look of the interview now, and the comment from back then, I think you can understand why.... Thanks to Mudville Gazette for the opportunity to share this posting!

No comments: